9/28/2004

GREAT FUN @ HOME

I had a real blast at home with my cousin sisters who had come home.One of them,Abinaya is in her 6th standard …and other , Aishwarya is in her 11th……Both had come home after a relatively long time. My little cousin is an extremely active and naughty girl…..just as any other girl of her age,but her acumen at this age seems remarkable. I played shuttle badminton after a long time with her and also ended up playing Wrestling with her , to the result that she tore my vest…..after a protracted struggle to keep me down…on the floor till the count of 10…(.lookup for the picture).

My other cousin Aishwarya had come to learn some maths and she …has an amazing sense of responsibility ,when it comes to keeping the house clean and helping people with household work.What I couldn’t’ clean in 2 years (My room of course ) was done with her help ….in quick time.

What really moved me ….was what my grandfather told me about his life. I felt sorry for whatever he underwent without actually showing up…his difficulties. He told me about how he was a bread winner for his family at the age of 16-17 and his life in the Indian army in Jalandhar and Lahore.
I was surprised how he actually hid his feelings about the various difficulties he had faced …..and for the first time he actually spoke his heart out to me ……..as earlier I was considered as a kid in the family, but hey…..all of a sudden when I have got a job…he feels I am more mature so decided to vent out his story…..about how ungrateful certain people were..after he had helped them….

I listened to his story …..imagining a malgudi like place in my mind as the settings…..

It seems strange that 10-15 years back , getting a job was perceived as “manna from heaven” and one used to settle for any salary ….and there was life going on at it’s own pace. People had time 4 everyone and the men generally used to settle down life after working for 7-8 years generally at 28-30 and marry ….and had a vehicle .(a rickety bajaj or lambretta ..as in my dad’s case)at 35 would bring down a great sense of achievement surging through their veins and they used to feel great when they used to get promoted….before they turn 50 .

But today things have changed tremendously thanks to the IT and BPO industry …and have flooded the market with jobs.Each software engineer makes a minimum of 15000 to start of with and by working for two years he can easily amass quite a wealth on his own to build a house or a plot of land and settles quite early in life by 23-24 and actually breaks down if he dosent earn a million by 25 or isn’t a managerial level person by 28-29…..So technically speaking he is ready to have his family by around 24-25……

On the agenda tonight …….I am quite busy Watching movies since I have to return two movie CD’s to my cousin’s tomorrow….I have to watch the last part of the movie KOI MIL GAYA(2003) and KABHIE KABHIE(1976)…but watching can b strenuous, so I may store it to my hard disc.

No comments:

Statcounter Tracker